Important information on Brexit

Feb 07, 2019

With constant media coverage and the looming deadline of Brexit, there are a number of questions at the forefront of many people’s minds about their forthcoming travel plans, such as, “Will it affect my passport’s validity? How will it affect my travel insurance? Will data roaming charges be affected?”.

The uncertainty surrounding Brexit means that we don’t have all the answers, however, by continually monitoring the updated advice from ABTA and FCO, we do our very best to answer all of our clients’ questions.

What’s the latest advice on passports?

ABTA’s latest advice on passports is ‘when travelling to the EU after 29th March 2019, the UK government recommends that you have 6 months left on your passport from your arrival date. In addition, if you renewed your adult passport before it expired, the extra months left on your old passport would have been added to the validity of your new passport – please be aware that these extra months will not count towards the 6 months validity being advised.’ Further information and advice can be found on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

It is unlikely that you will need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. In November 2018, the European Commission announced that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK.

What about exchange rates?

We guarantee no currency surcharges from the point of booking. If you’ve booked and paid your first deposits, and received your confirmation and invoice, then you won’t be asked to pay a surcharge should the exchange rates fluctuate.

If you have enquired with us, our quotes have 6 weeks validity so the exchange rate would be confirmed for that amount of time.

What about EHIC cards?

On the subject of EHIC cards and travel insurance, ABTA are advising that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. ABTA has always advised travellers to make sure they have travel insurance as the EHIC card does have its limitations. It is worth noting that many insurance policies will continue to cover trips regardless, however it is worth checking with your insurer. Further details can be found on the ABTA website.

Will I be charged for data roaming?

The effect on data roaming charges is another big question on many school trip leaders’ minds. At present the cost of making calls, sending messages and using the internet in the EU is the same as the UK, however this rule may change should there be a no-deal Brexit. ABTA advise checking with your mobile phone provider before you travel for the latest rules and prices.

Should you have any questions or queries about Brexit affecting your travel plans with Rayburn Tours, please do not hesitate to get in touch.