A formidable group travel insurance policy
For your financial security, you must have insurance when travelling with us, whether it be your own or the insurance we provide through Aviva. We highly recommend our insurance because it’s tailored specifically for schools with specialist insurance policies for individual tour types.
Rayburn Tours are pleased to partner with David Roberts & Partners insurance brokers to provide a fully comprehensive group travel insurance policy underwritten by Aviva, which includes cancellation, curtailment and medical cover for COVID. All claims are handled on Aviva’s behalf by award winning CEGA Group.
Everyone has questions, especially at this time, so below are the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. Still have questions? No problem! Simply get in touch with our team and we will be happy to answer them for you.
- Everyone in the group has a GHIC (formerly EHIC). Do we still need travel insurance?
A GHIC or EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and is not valid for use in all countries. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, cancellation, travel delay, mountain rescue in ski resorts, being repatriated back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. Having both a GHIC and travel insurance will ensure your group is appropriately covered.
- Do we just have one policy number to cover everyone in the group?
Yes, one policy number will cover everyone in your group.
- From what point are we covered under the insurance?
Pre-departure (cancellation) cover starts from the date that you book your trip and pay your first deposit if insurance is included in your package. If you choose to add in insurance at a later date, your pre-departure cover will be activated upon receipt of payment of the premium. At these points, you will receive your full policy documentation. The rest of your cover starts on your scheduled departure day.
- Do I need to tell you if anyone in the group has a pre-existing medical condition?
No, Aviva does not need to be informed of any pre-existing medical conditions. As long as you are not travelling against the advice of a Medical Practitioner, you are covered under the policy.
- And what if someone in my group develops a new medical condition after we have secured the cover but prior to our departure?
Aviva does not require you to advise about changes to health during your period of insurance as detailed on your schedule. As long as you are not travelling against the advice of a Medical Practitioner, you are covered under the policy.
- Can we opt out of the travel insurance if we wish?
You have the right to opt out if you wish, but you should ensure that you have alternative travel insurance in place for all group members as this is a condition of booking.
- Can some group members within the group opt out from the insurance?
The policy is a group policy so can only cover the entire group. If some group members opt out, the entire group cannot be covered.
- What happens if we replace group members after we book and take the policy, but before we travel? Are the replacements full covered?
Yes, Aviva covers the total number of people in the group. In order to make a claim, the group member just needs confirmation that they were part of the group, which can be provided by Rayburn Tours.
- What if a group member has to cancel before departure due to contracting COVID? Will insurance cover them? Will they get their money back?
The Aviva policy has full cancellation cover where a group member has been diagnosed with COVID within 14 days of departure. If a group member has been hospitalised at any point prior to departure which results in them being unable to travel, this is also covered.
- What if a group member is unable to travel as they need to self-isolate due to someone they have been in contact with testing positive for COVID even if they themselves are not unwell? Will insurance cover them? Will they get their money back?
The Aviva policy has full cancellation cover where a group member has been instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace for a period of time that prevents them from taking part in the trip.
- What happens if the Group Leader tests positive for COVID and/or falls ill prior to departure and is unable to lead the trip as planned?
As well as cover for the Group Leader as an individual, there is additional cover to help recruit or pay for a replacement in the event that this is necessary.
- Is there any cover on the insurance policy for the cost of hiring substitute teachers to cover classes back in the UK if a teacher’s stay is extended for whatever reason (contract Covid, self-isolation, remaining to support an unwell group member)?
No, the insurance wouldn’t provide financial support over and above the reasonable costs of the insured teacher’s extended stay, travel, sustenance.
- If a number of my group contracts Covid which means that the tour is not viable because there aren’t enough remaining travellers to field a sports team or enough musicians to form a band, will the insurance cover full group cancellation?
No, the insurance will not cover cancellation for any passengers who are unable to claim cancellation through medical reasons of their own. You should discuss postponement options with your Tour Operator.
- If we change our minds prior to departure and decide to cancel the tour because of COVID concerns are we covered by this policy?
No, disinclination to travel is not covered under any travel insurance.
- Will insurance cover us if we have not had vaccinations on offer?
Not having vaccinations will not invalidate the insurance policy if you travel, however where destination countries have specific entry requirements, it is the group member’s responsibility to ensure that these are met. Unfortunately, there is no insurance cover for denied boarding/entry where group members do not meet the entry requirements of the destination country.
- What happens if a group member in my group becomes unwell whilst we are away?
If a group member falls ill whilst you are away, you should contact the CEGA emergency medical claim number. They can help to support and advise you on next steps and ensure the group member is well looked after. Of course, if it is a medical emergency, call an ambulance straight away and notify CEGA at the earliest opportunity so that they can provide support and financial assistance with the claim. The insurance will provide cover for any additional accommodation, travel or medical costs, without limitation. Rayburn Tours can also provide support via the 24-hour emergency line.
- Would the policy cover cancellation if a group member is a close contact of someone (a sibling or similar) who has tested positive for COVID?
Regarding the individuals with siblings, the insurance policy will only provide cancellation cover in the event that they are instructed to isolate by NHS Track and Trace. If they are not instructed to do so, then the insurance policy would not provide cancellation cover. Please note that the NHS Test and Trace instruction has to be received up to 14 days before the journey is due to commence.
If the individual child (whose sibling has been instructed to isolate) does travel, then they will be afforded full cover under the policy should they then test positive during the journey i.e. full medical expenses, repatriation, travel and accommodation expenses for a family member.
- What happens if a member of our party displays COVID symptoms during the trip?
If a group member has symptoms, the individual should start isolating immediately. The Group Leader should call the CEGA Emergency Assistance number provided for advice about the exact procedure in the destination country. The insurance will provide cover for any additional accommodation, travel or medical costs, without limitation. Rayburn Tours can also provide support via the 24-hour emergency line.
- What if one or more of our group members tests positive for COVID whilst on tour and is forced to self-isolate away from home?
The Group Leader should call the CEGA Emergency Assistance number and follow the procedure required for the destination country. Your insurance will cover the costs of any additional accommodation required.
- How will they get back home after any medical treatment or isolation?
The Group Leader should liaise with the CEGA Emergency Assistance team and follow the procedures required. Your insurance will cover the process of repatriation.
- What additional support do we have if someone must remain in isolation whilst on tour (whether unwell or not)?
The Group Leader should liaise with the CEGA Emergency Assistance team and follow the procedures outlined. If you are unwell, your insurance will cover the costs of emergency travel expenses including transport and accommodation of one relative or friend who has to remain in destination or to have one relative or friend travel to the destination. In order for the policy to provide cover, if you have been a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID, that person must have informed NHS Test and Trace and the self-isolation instruction must come from NHS Test and Trace.
- If the adult to child ratio is compromised due to illness (COVID or otherwise) or self-isolation, is there cover for a replacement adult to join the group?
The Group Leader should liaise with the CEGA Emergency Assistance team and follow the procedures outlined. Your insurance will cover the costs of emergency travel expenses including transport and accommodation of replacement adult(s) to ensure adult to child ratio is not compromised. Rayburn Tours will provide support via the 24 hour emergency line.
- Is there any other insurance cover if a group member has to cut short their trip after departure due to illness?
The curtailment section of the Aviva insurance also covers reimbursement of any unused, non-refundable accommodation or travel costs. Once your claim has been raised, the exact amount will be determined depending on the individual circumstances in your case. Individual breakdowns of any costs reimbursed under this section of the policy are not possible due to supplier contract confidentiality clauses.
- Will the insurance still be valid if the advice from the FCDO changes to “all but essential travel” after the tour has commenced?
Yes, Aviva will cover the cost of repatriation if appropriate and/or possible. The policy would continue to provide full cover until you returned home, even if you are unable to return immediately. Rayburn Tours would be on hand to support and assist with arrangements via the 24-hour emergency line.
If you have chosen alternative insurance cover for your group, please check directly with your insurer as policies do differ.