School History Trips to New York & Washington DC
Capture the spirit of ‘the land of the free and home of the brave’
Vibrant, thriving and rich in cultural markers, the cities of Washington DC and New York are steeped in social, military and political history – and a two-centre tour is the best way to experience them both.
New York… The Big Apple… The city that never sleeps…This destination boasts a selection of nicknames that echo its grandeur. Each neighbourhood’s different and distinct personality, paired with a melting pot of cultures, fuse together to form an urban patchwork of rich history and relentless energy!
Washington DC will give your group that presidential feeling! This exciting and modern capital will have you exploring a rich and extensive political, social and military history and experiencing the atmosphere of thought-provoking monuments and memorials. The architecture is truly something else, and with iconic spots scattered within walking distance, you can tick all sorts off your bucket list in one trip!
Our Recommended Itinerary
Here’s what your trip could look like
Flight to New York and transfer
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Cruise
9/11 Memorial Museum
Top of the Rock
Transfer to Washington DC
Lincoln Memorial & Reflecting Pool
White House Visitor Centre and Capitol Hill
Smithsonian Museum(s) or The National Archives
Evening meal at Hard Rock Cafe
Arlington National Cemetery
- Return flights from UK to USA
- Return airport transfers in resort
- Coach transfer between destinations
- Half day additional coaching (Arlington Cemetery)
- B&B accommodation
- Travel insurance
- Free staff place ratio 1:10
- 24/7 support
- Vamoos travel app & info pack
- Tailor-made itinerary
- Tenement Museum
- Times Square
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Cruise
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Top of the Rock
- Lincoln Memorial
- White House Visitor Centre
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Hard Rock Café, Washington DC
- Capitol Hill
- The National Archives
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Ford’s Theatre
- History Tour Guide
- Dedicated Tour Manager
- Hoodies and Polo Shirts
Excursions in New York & Washington DC
Browse a selection of our favourite excursions
Popular places to stay in New York & Washington DC
- Great central location at 48th and Broadway
- Within walking distance of Manhattan’s nightlife, theatre and entertainment scene
- Close to main attractions including Times Square, Rockefeller Centre and Central Park
- Various room types available
- On-site lobby breakfast and 2 adjacent restaurants
- 24-hour fitness centre
- Meeting room
- Explore Manhattan’s nightlife, theatre and entertainment scene
- Visit Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, Central Park and other main attractions
- Work out in the fitness centre
- Enjoy a meal in one of the nearby restaurants
- Fantastic location just a few steps from Central Park
- Twin & single bed rooms
- Shared facilities
- Indoor swimming pool
- Indoor swimming pool
- Gym and fitness classes
- Shared lounge and TV area
- Group activities
- Go for a swim in the indoor pool
- Work up a sweat in the gym
- Relax in the shared lounge and TV area
- Get the group together for some in-house activities
- Walk to Central Park for an afternoon of outdoor fun
Perfect for KS4 and KS5 (or equivalent – may be suitable for KS3)
- British imperial history and governance
- The founding of the US
- The American War of Independence
- The Declaration of Independence
- The American Civil War
- The USA and the First World War
- The 1920s’ economic crash, depression and the new deal
- The Second World War
- The Cold War and American Soviet relations
- The Civil Rights era
- The US policies 1990-2010
Step into the story...
History is much more than the events of the past – it encompasses the future and everything else in between! It sparks curiosity and drives learning, encouraging students to question and learn from the world around them.
To bring these thrilling periods of history to life, we have a vast array of tools at our disposal. Discover the fascinating tales of heroism, defeat, learn about the monumental landmarks and the shrouded secrets that have remained hidden for years.
Our devoted history guides transport students back in time, immersing them in the intricacies of historical periods. Check out our FREE history resources too – use them to inspire and educate in the classroom, before and long after your trip!
Discover more about this tour
There’s so much more to explore…
Because choice is what makes life interesting
Covering migration to America or post-war challenges in the USA? Explore these themes in New York!
Teaching your students about the founding of the US, 1920s economic crash or American conflicts? Visit Washington DC.
What our customers say
Mr Craig Owen
The excursions were excellent and the pupils certainly had a wonderful experience.
Bolton School Girls' Division
FAQs about this tour
Find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
Why take students on a history trip?
History trips give students the opportunity to ‘step into the story’. After all, there’s only so much you can teach, and learn, from a classroom! These trips spark student’s curiosity, drive learning, and instil a deep appreciation of the world’s rich cultural legacy.
To bring these fascinating periods of history to life, we have a vast array of tools at our disposal! Discover the fascinating tales of heroism, bloodshed and battles… Learn about the monumental landmarks and the shrouded secrets that have remained hidden for years! It’s simply all brought to life on a trip…
Are there any opportunities for alternative activities to provide a break from hard-hitting history topics?
Absolutely! We recognise the importance of a well-rounded experience and strive to engage students in the world of history while also allowing them time to decompress. Our tours can offer a variety of activities, so students can achieve the right balance between immersive learning and chill time.
Is this destination suitable for any other kinds of trips?
The USA is THE perfect destination for a cross-curricular trip. Whether it be a fascinating and deep-rooted history, an immersion into a vibrant culture, or some action-packed sports!
Travel in safe hands
Your safety is of the utmost importance to us and we monitor the safety aspects of all of our tours to ensure you have a memorable experience for all the right reasons.Discover More