School History Trips to New York & Washington DC
Capture the spirit of ‘the land of the free and home of the brave’
Vibrant, thriving and rich in cultural markers, the cities of Washington DC and New York are steeped in social, military and political history – and a two-centre tour is the best way to experience them both.
In Washington DC, students will be able to explore everything from the years of political history within the White House to the moving stories of those who served the nation, whilst New York offers a fascinating collection of historic icons, urban delights and cultural splendour.
Rayburn Covid Guarantee
Book with confidence with our Covid Guarantee, which provides unrivalled, extra flexible cancellation policies and even more support. Find out more.
Our Recommended Itinerary
Here’s what your trip could look like
Flight to New York and transfer
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Cruise
9/11 Memorial Museum
Top of the Rock
Transfer to Washington DC
Lincoln Memorial & Reflecting Pool
White House Visitor Centre and Capitol Hill
Smithsonian Museum(s) or The National Archives
Evening meal at Hard Rock Cafe
Arlington National Cemetery
Based on 5 day, 4 night tour for 40 passengers (+4 free places) travelling. Subject to availability.
- Return flights from UK to USA
- Return airport transfers in resort
- Coach transfer between destinations
- Half day additional coaching (Arlington Cemetery)
- B&B accommodation
- Travel insurance
- Free staff place ratio 1:10
- 24/7 support
- Vamoos travel app & info pack
- Tailor-made itinerary
- Tenement Museum
- Times Square
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Cruise
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- Top of the Rock
- Lincoln Memorial
- White House Visitor Centre
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Hard Rock Café, Washington DC
- Capitol Hill
- The National Archives
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Ford’s Theatre
- History Tour Guide
- Dedicated Tour Manager
- Hoodies and Polo Shirts
Excursions in New York & Washington DC
Browse a selection of our favourite excursions
Popular places to stay in New York & Washington DC
- Located in the heart of Washington DC's tourist district
- Quad, triple, twin and single bed rooms
- 3 minute walk from the Metro
- En-suite facilities
- 3 restaurants and bar
- Souvenir shop
- Sit down to a delicious meal in one of the 3 restaurants
- Enjoy a drink in the bar
- Pick up a souvenir in the on-site shop
- Hop on the Metro to explore more of Washington DC
- Great central location at 48th and Broadway
- Within walking distance of Manhattan’s nightlife, theatre and entertainment scene
- Close to main attractions including Times Square, Rockefeller Centre and Central Park
- Various room types available
- On-site lobby breakfast and 2 adjacent restaurants
- 24-hour fitness centre
- Meeting room
- Explore Manhattan’s nightlife, theatre and entertainment scene
- Visit Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, Central Park and other main attractions
- Work out in the fitness centre
- Enjoy a meal in one of the nearby restaurants
- Fantastic location just a few steps from Central Park
- Twin & single bed rooms
- Shared facilities
- Indoor swimming pool
- Indoor swimming pool
- Gym and fitness classes
- Shared lounge and TV area
- Group activities
- Go for a swim in the indoor pool
- Work up a sweat in the gym
- Relax in the shared lounge and TV area
- Get the group together for some in-house activities
- Walk to Central Park for an afternoon of outdoor fun
Perfect for KS4 and KS5 (or equivalent – may be suitable for KS3)
- British imperial history and governance
- The founding of the US
- The American War of Independence
- The Declaration of Independence
- The American Civil War
- The USA and the First World War
- The 1920s’ economic crash, depression and the new deal
- The Second World War
- The Cold War and American Soviet relations
- The Civil Rights era
- The US policies 1990-2010
Your journey doesn’t have to end here! See what else we can offer to help you get the most out of your tour. From expert History Tour Guides to dedicated Tour Managers, we’ll go above and beyond to support you and your students.
Discover more about this tour
There’s so much more to explore…
Because choice is what makes life interesting
Covering migration to America or post-war challenges in the USA? Explore these themes in New York!
Teaching your students about the founding of the US, 1920s economic crash or American conflicts? Visit Washington DC.
What our customers say
Mr Craig Owen
The excursions were excellent and the pupils certainly had a wonderful experience.
Bolton School Girls' Division
FAQs about this tour
Find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
What happens if I wish to cancel due to an act of terrorism?
If there has been no official advice against travel, yet your group has opted to cancel, then your cancellation is totally subject to our booking conditions (for booking conditions, please see ‘What happens if flights are operating but we decide we do not want to travel?’). However, we will always work with you to try and minimise the financial effect and find the best solution for you.
Can I talk to Rayburn Tours whilst out on tour?
Yes, a 24-hour emergency phone number will be provided in your final documents pack and one of our experienced members of staff will be happy to help with any problems you have whilst out on tour.
Do you provide risk assessments for the visits you offer?
You can download our Generic Risk Management Handbook which will help you complete your risk assessment for your school or Local Authority. The aim of the handbook is to provide all tour leaders with supportive suggestions to help raise awareness to risk, suggest control measures to help mitigate the risk and manage risk pro-actively. For further assistance, please speak to a member of our team who will be happy to help.
Is our Tour Manager fully DBS (formerly CRB) checked?
Our Tour Managers, Field Study Tutors and History Tour Guides, with UK citizenship, have an enhanced DBS check. Non UK citizenship Tour Managers cannot be checked under the DBS scheme. Rayburn Tours will seek confirmation that Tour Managers are suitable for working with children by liaising with relevant foreign agents and monitoring group feedback.
Travel in safe hands
Your safety is of the utmost importance to us and we monitor the safety aspects of all of our tours to ensure you have a memorable experience for all the right reasons.Discover More