School Science Trips to Iceland
A land of pioneering spirit and geothermal grandeur
Embark on an epic scientific adventure as you investigate aspects of chemistry, biology and physics whilst experiencing the awesome power of nature first-hand.
Where natural forces fuse with the technology of science, Iceland is all about the drama. There’s no better place to experience the uses of geothermal energy, the impacts of glaciation and the spectacular landscape that brings it all together. Discover the inner workings of the Hellisheidi Power Plant, explore the renewable and sustainable energy generation methods at Ljosafoss HEP Station and embrace Iceland’s extraordinary pioneering spirit.
With Iceland on the travel ‘green list’, teachers are getting in touch desperate to give students those much needed experiences they’ve missed. So, if you’re ready for an Iceland adventure in 2023 and beyond, it’s time to get in touch!
Our Recommended Itinerary
Here’s what your trip could look like
Flight and transfer to Iceland
Evening meal at Papa’s Pizza
Hellisheidi Geothermal Power Plant
Golden Circle, including Thingvellir National Park, Geysir Geothermal Area and Gullfoss waterfall
Evening meal and Fun Files Quiz
South Coast, including Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skogafoss waterfall, Solheimajokull glacier, Dyrholaey, Vik and LAVA Centre
Evening meal and Fun Files activity
Sightseeing and shopping in Reykjavik
Evening meal and Fun Files activity
Sudurnes Science & Learning Centre
Based on 5 day, 4 night tour for 36 members (+4 free places) travelling October 2024. Subject to availability.
- Return flights from UK to Iceland
- Coaching for the duration of your tour
- Full board accommodation
- Travel insurance
- Free staff place ratio 1:10
- 24/7 support
- Vamoos travel app & info pack
- Tailor-made itinerary
- Blue Lagoon
- Papa’s Pizza
- Hellisheidi Geothermal Power Plant
- Thingvellir National Park & Mid-Atlantic Ridge
- Geyser Geothermal Area
- Gullfoss Waterfall
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Skogafoss Waterfall
- Glacier Hike
- LAVA Centre
- Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach
- Perlan Museum
- Power Plant Earth
- Sudurnes Science & Learning Centre
- Dedicated Tour Manager
- Hoodies and Polo Shirts
Excursions in Iceland
Browse a selection of our favourite excursions
Popular places to stay in Iceland
- Short stroll from the centre of Reykjavik
- 5 minutes from Laugardalslaug swimming pool
- Within walking distance of cafes and restaurants
- Triple, twin and single rooms
- Customer Feedback: "A very friendly and accommodating hotel. The buffet style breakfast and food is ideal." Saints Peter & Paul Catholic College
- Buffet breakfast
- Restaurant and bar
- Tuck into the delicious buffet breakfast
- Relax with a drink in the bar
- Go for a swim at the nearby Laugardalslaug pool
- Explore the city centre of Reykjavik by foot and grab a bite to eat
- Beautiful, rural surroundings
- Ideal for stargazing and spotting the Northern Lights
- Sole occupancy available for larger groups
- Nearby swimming pool
- Customer Feedback: "Ran by a lovely family who gave us a short little introduction to Icelandic culture every evening!" Haygrove Academy
- Customer Feedback: "This is hotel we will use repeatedly on future trips!" Stewart's Melville College
- Dining and study areas
- Indoor and outdoor games
- Nearby swimming pool
- Relax in the dining and study areas
- Team up and play some games
- Head over to the nearby swimming pool
- Spend a night stargazing and looking out for the Northern Lights
Your journey doesn’t have to end here! See what else we can offer to help you get the most out of your tour. From dedicated Tour Managers to Party Leader Launch Packs, we’ll go above and beyond to support you and your students.
Discover more about this tour
Here's what's hot on our blog...
What our customers say
A fantastic experience for the students
Comberton Village College
Mrs Annette Powell-Wiffen
It is always good to hear the experiences of schools around the country and Rayburn has a very good reputation.
Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School
FAQs about this tour
Find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
What help do you have in Iceland to assist us in the event of future disruption?
Our main accommodation centres are contracted solely to us and are able to offer substantial support in terms of advice, accommodation extension and local safety issues. One of the centres is earmarked as a rescue centre for the community should there be an eruption event. Alternatively, we work with hotels in other locations, such as Reykjavik, which we could utilise. Our Icelandic coach operator has robust transport resources to quickly implement changes.
What happens if we are unable to complete our planned excursions whilst in Iceland?
We have numerous, well researched alternative excursions which can be implemented if needed whilst in Iceland. Additionally, we have produced a new study unit relating to the volcanic eruption in 2010. Experience has shown us that with some minor changes we are able to carry out the majority of our itineraries.
What happens if there is a further volcanic eruption whilst we are in Iceland?
In Iceland every community, by law, has a set of very rigid logistical procedures in place to deal with natural disasters and these have proven to be effective. The whole of Iceland is hazard aware. There are systems in place and sequences of events all worked out. Systems are robust and vigorous. Safety procedures are only stepped down after a full assessment is carried out by the experts.
In addition, we have local knowledge and direct communication to the safety authorities to ensure a calm, efficient evacuation to safety, if required. We also have access to accommodation in different locations. We have 24-hour contact available to both Icelandic airlines and we have experienced the high level of support they offer during the repatriation process.
Can I talk to Rayburn Tours whilst out on tour?
Yes, a 24-hour emergency phone number will be provided in your final documents pack and one of our experienced members of staff will be happy to help with any problems you have whilst out on tour.
Travel in safe hands
Your safety is of the utmost importance to us and we monitor the safety aspects of all of our tours to ensure you have a memorable experience for all the right reasons.Discover More